This 3 day course covers all the skills necessary to perform self rescues and team rescues in a canyon environment. This course is a pre-requisite for the Level 2 Guide.
Students will work through a number of practical exercises presented as “what if” scenarios to help them learn to apply their new skills and gain confidence.
Canyon Rescue is also an ideal course for Mountain Rescue team members and Fire Departments who must access technical canyon terrain for advanced situation assessment prior to committing additional resources.
- avoiding rescue situations by pre-rigging for contingencies
- anchor considerations for technical rescue
- accessing a victim from above or below
- passing a knot while descending or ascending
- deploying additional rope during a rappel
- pick-offs and assisted rappels
- specialized rope rescue systems for canyoneering, including the “cut and lower” and “balancier”
- raising systems using mechanical advantage and counter-weights
- converting a blocked rope for a lowering system
- converting a blocked rope for a raising system
- converting a contingency anchor for a raising system
- swift water rescue techniques
- improvised carrying techniques
Advanced Canyoning or Fast-Track Canyoning.